Quick Antarctic Ice Marathon Facts
- The Antarctic Ice Marathon & 100k races are the only official running events within the Antarctic Circle on mainland Antarctica. Other races take place in the more temperate climate of the Antarctic peninsula islands near South America.
- The Antarctic Ice Marathon & 100k incorporate the southernmost half-marathon, marathon and ultramarathon races in the world, respectively.
- In 2012, there were over 50 participants from 16 countries represented.
- The Marathon Flame was brought to Antarctica for the 2012 event by UNICEF ambassador Nasos Ktoridis.
- Mike King, a leading international sports photographer, photograped the 2012 races.
- David Painter, Hot Under the Collar Productions, distributed 2012 news video globally.
- The 2012 Ice Marathon races were electronically timed by David Wade, Precision Timing.
- The sister race of the Antarctic Ice Marathon is the North Pole Marathon, which is the northernmost marathon in the world.